The Gwich’in Regional Youth Council was established by 10 young Gwich’in participants who thought that having this type of forum for Gwich’in youth to put the issues of young Gwich’in people on the table of the Gwich’in Government and to be a voice of all young people in the Gwich’in Communities of Aklavik, Inuvik, Tsiigehtchic and Fort McPherson. It consists of two (2) members from each of the four Gwich’in Communities. Members meet in each of the communities and also for a On the Land Meeting during each year of their two (2) year term.
The mandate of the Gwich’in Regional Youth Council is “To inspire all Gwich’in youth to stand with us”.
Key Goals of the GRYC:
- To commit to building healthier relationships, open communication and partnerships in order to support youth.
- To provide mentorship opportunities for emerging leaders that foster meaningful participation within our Gwich’in Nation.
- To work with all levels of the GTC to provide training opportunities for youth.
- To promote greater inclusion and representation of youth in self-government negotiations, GTC Board of Directors’ meetings, and the annual DGO’s and GTC Assemblies.
- To commit to preserve, maintain, and encourage expression of history, culture, and identity.