Established in 1992, the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) is an Indigenous government that represents Gwich’in Participants in the Mackenzie-Delta of the Northwest Territories and across Canada. GTC protects and advances the interests of Gwich’in through hard work, collaborative approaches and good governance in order to improve the lives and preserve the culture of the Gwich’in.
The Gwich’in Tribal Council is seeking a highly-motivated individual to fill the term position of Regional Self-Government Advisor in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. Reporting to the Director of Intergovernmental Relations, the Regional Self-Government Advisor works to enhance the Department of Intergovernmental Relation’s ability to respond to emerging needs at the community level. This includes providing assistance and guidance to the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) and Designated Gwich’in Organizations (DGOs) in the three Gwich’in Communities of Aklavik, Fort McPherson and Tsiigehtchic on implementing Chapter 5 and Appendix B of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (GCLCA), and preparing for self-government.
The position provides day-to-day advisory, analytical, and administrative services on the self-government file and leads initiatives pertaining to the file. The responsibilities focus on community government jurisdiction and areas of responsibility and oversees and assists the GTC and DGOs in accordance with the GCLCA and applicable legislation, protocols, directives, policies, and procedures with respect to self-government.
- Bachelor’s degree in law, political science, social sciences, or similar field
- 2-5 years’ experience in public administration at various levels of government in Canada
- A valid class 5 driver’s license and a satisfactory criminal records check is required
- The ability to speak the Gwich’in language would be an asset
- Community-liaison and public engagement and consultation work experience an asset
- Equivalencies may be considered in lieu of education
SKILLS & ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of the decision making system and process of government (Federal/ Provincial/ Territorial)
- Working knowledge of land claim and self-government agreements negotiated in Canada
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively; employing strong listening, verbal, written, and public presentation skills to convey information on a variety of complex issues
- Ability to take meeting minutes, write summaries, draft correspondence and reports
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize a high volume workload in a demanding fast paced environment
- A team player with experience working on multidisciplinary project teams
- Financial management, budget development, research and planning skills
- Able to anticipate issues, develop a position, and act independently if appropriate
- Formal negotiations skills training and/or demonstrated negotiations accomplishments
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered including allowances of $20,000 per annum, health and dental benefits, and generous leave entitlements.
If you are interested in working with an energetic and progressive Indigenous government, please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Closing Date: April 10, 2019
Go Beyond the Arctic Circle
The Town of Inuvik (www.inuvik.ca) is unlike anything you have ever experienced before. Witness the Land of the Midnight Sun and the mesmerizing lights of the Aurora Borealis. Located 200 km north of the Arctic Circle, in the beautiful and vast Mackenzie Delta, Inuvik prides itself on being authentic, accessible and amazing. Due to its northern location, Inuvik experiences an average of 56 days of continuous sunlight every summer and 30 days of polar night every winter. Become a member of our colourful community, the Town of Inuvik is ready to welcome you to the Western Arctic and all that it has to offer.
Priority Consideration will be given to qualified Participants of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement. We thank all who apply but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Gwìch’in nan, nakhwek’yùu ts’àt gwitr’it tthak nakhwidavee gwiheezàa eenjit
Gwich’in land, culture & economy for a better future