Established in 1992, the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) is an Indigenous government that represents Gwich’in Participants in the Mackenzie-Delta of the Northwest Territories and across Canada. GTC protects and advances the interests of Gwich’in through hard work, collaborative approaches and good governance in order to improve the lives and preserve the culture of the Gwich’in.
The Gwich’in Tribal Council is seeking a highly-motivated individual to fill the position of Legal Counsel in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. In this key role, you will report to the Chief Operating Officer and be responsible for providing a full-range of legal services to the GTC.
- Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor degree (LLB/JD)
- Qualified or eligible to become qualified to practice law in the Northwest Territories
- Minimum Five (5) years of legal work experience (post-articling)
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in Aboriginal law, ideally with a Northern focus
- Prior corporate legal experience is an asset
- Governance Professionals of Canada designation and/or corporate governance experience is an asset
- Supervisory experience is an asset
SKILLS & ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to develop and impart vision, direction, and policy both internally within the organization and to a broader audience
- Ability to develop legal strategies and objectives
- Working knowledge of land claim agreements, Aboriginal law, and Indigenous governments
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to calmly and assertively advocate for the interested of Gwich’in and explain complex information simply
- Ability to thrive in a highly complex, politically charged environment
- Knowledge of the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporation Act and applicable legislation
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered including allowances of $20,000 per annum, health and dental benefits, and generous leave entitlements.
To Apply to this job please click on this link: Legal Counsel
Closing Date: Open until filled
Go Beyond the Arctic Circle
The Town of Inuvik (www.inuvik.ca) is unlike anything you have ever experienced before. Witness the Land of the Midnight Sun and the mesmerizing lights of the Aurora Borealis. Located 200 km north of the Arctic Circle, in the beautiful and vast Mackenzie Delta, Inuvik prides itself on being authentic, accessible and amazing. Due to its northern location, Inuvik experiences an average of 56 days of continuous sunlight every summer and 30 days of polar night every winter. Become a member of our colourful community, the Town of Inuvik is ready to welcome you to the Western Arctic and all that it has to offer.
Priority Consideration will be given to qualified Participants of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement. We thank all who apply but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Gwìch’in nan, nakhwek’yùu ts’àt gwitr’it tthak nakhwidavee gwiheezàa eenjit
Gwich’in land, culture & economy for a better future