Established in 1992, the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) is an Indigenous government that represents Gwich’in Participants in the Mackenzie-Delta of the Northwest Territories and across Canada. GTC protects and advances the interests of Gwich’in through hard work, collaborative approaches and good governance in order to improve the lives and preserve the culture of the Gwich’in.
GTC is seeking a highly-motivated individual to fill the position of Financial Reporting & Compliance Specialist in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. In this key role, you will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will oversee and ensure the timely and accurate financial reporting and compliance with applicable regulations, policies and directives.
- Execute full cycle financial reporting activities and coordinate supporting information systems, including policies, procedures and initiatives with operating and support stakeholders for GTC and GTC related entities and subsidiaries
- Maintain general ledger and sub-ledgers to ensure accuracy and completeness including account reconciliations and prepare and review journal entries
- Participate and provide recommendations to enhance financial reporting and related processes
- Perform financial analysis including ad hoc reports to identify trends and discrepancies
- Ensure compliance with external filing requirements and agencies: GST, T4As, WSCC, etc.
- Analyze, evaluate and implement appropriate systems of internal control to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, policies and directives along with confirming effective operation of systems
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree in Accounting, CGA Program Level 3 or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of direct experience with financial reporting, analysis and compliance
- Strong understanding and working experience with accounting standards PSAS, IFRS and ASPE
- Preference given to those with a professional accounting designation, direct related work experience with an Indigenous organization or government in remote or North of 60 locations
SKILLS & ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Experience using computerized accounting software with a preference for Sage 50 Accounting
- Knowledge of internal controls and ability to recommend changes and additions to policies and processes as needed
- Knowledge of MS operating systems and software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Internet and Email
- Problem solving, analytical and evaluation skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize workload and meet established timelines
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Minimal travel may be required
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered including allowances of $20,000 per annum, health and dental benefits, and generous leave entitlements.
To Apply to this job please click on this link: Financial Reporting & Compliance Specialist
Closing Date: July 23, 2019
Priority Consideration will be given to qualified Participants of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement. We thank all who apply but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.