The Gwich’in Tribal Council as the shareholder to the Gwich’in Settlement Corporation (GSC) is seeking interested participants of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (GCLCA) to sit as a member of the Board of Directors of the Gwich’in Settlement Corporation for a four (4) year term.
The GSC invests and administers the capital transfer funds paid to the Gwich’in by the Government of Canada from 1992 to 2007, pursuant to the finalization of the GCLCA in 1992. As of October 2019, the GSC has almost $133 million in assets, which is used to carry out the activities outlined by Chapter 11 of the GCLCA. The GSC was established for the benefit of current and future generations of Gwich’in participants and was incorporated under the Canada Not-for-Profit Corporations Act on December 22, 1992.
The GSC Board of Directors includes one (1) representative from each of the Tetlit, Gwichya, Nihtat and Ehdiitat Designated Gwich’in Organizations (DGOs) and two (2) representatives from the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC). There are a total of six (6) Directors for the GSC. Applicants will need to be nominated by one of the above-mentioned DGOs or the GTC and be approved by the GTC Board of Directors to stand for election at the GTC Annual General Assembly in Inuvik, NT currently scheduled for September 2020.
Ideal candidates will be Gwich’in participants who:
- Demonstrate consistent values of respect and trustworthiness;
- Understanding of financial markets and concepts;
- Ability to effectively communicate with Gwich’in participants via various methods (in person, phone, email, social media);
- Availability to attend at least four (4) GSC Board Meetings each year which include two (2) 1-day meetings in March/April and May/June in the Gwich’in Settlement Area (GSA), a conference call in July/August and one (1) 2-day Annual Meeting in southern Canada; and,
- Business/Commercial experience is considered an asset;
Applications must be received no later than January 17, 2020
For more information please contact:
Alain Chiasson, General Counsel
Gwich’in Tribal Council
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0
PH: (867) 777-7900
FX: (867) 777-7919
Only successful candidates will be notified