Gwich'in Tribal Council is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Finance Officer in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. Reporting to the Financial Controller, The Finance Officer is responsible for providing financial and accounting services for all programs and services offered by the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) in accordance with Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement, applicable legislation, regulations, directives, policies, procedures, and principles.
- Prepares and processes all financial documents, including payroll to ensure accuracy and adherence to financial regulations as well as verify and processes honorarium submissions for accuracy and completeness before processing and tracks payments
- Matches all invoices to purchase orders, coding invoices, obtaining program managers approval of invoices and coding and processing for payment and submitting cheques and backup for signature in Inuvik and distribute once signed
- Reviews, prepares and processes all accounts payable documents (invoices/requisitions, travel expenses, credit card transactions, and other requests) for payment. Ensures accurate coding, appropriate supporting documentation is provided, verification of program balances, authorization, matching information on invoices to purchase orders/requisitions and determines priorities for processing payments in a timely and accurate manner
- Using the Sage 50 Accounting Software, sets up vendor and client accounts, posts accounting transactions/journal entries, and generates financial statements. Verifies the accuracy of data entry of financial documents as well as to conduct monthly bank statement reconciliations and make necessary adjustments.
- Distributes payments and maintains payment distribution records in accordance with policies and guidelines
- Communicates with managers, staff, vendors, contractors, and Participants as the first point of contact for inquiries and/or issues with all commitment accounts, and is responsible for providing a timely and effective resolution with a client-focused perspective
- Coordinates the use of credit cards to ensure procedures for purchasing and travel are properly followed. Ensures that all receipts for all expenses charged to credit cards are submitted with the expense reports, and verifies that the expenses are business-related. Reconciles monthly credit card statements, and ensures timely payment of credit card invoices
- Audits and processes travel expense reports for all duty travel for staff, meeting participants and board members, by ensuring that the amounts claimed are in accordance with approved GTC travel polices and rate allowances. Verifies the correct financial coding and spending authority are recorded on the expense report. Maintains travel authorization and expense records to audit and reconcile to the monthly credit card statements. Also, tracks outstanding travel advances to ensure that they have been cleared.
- Administers payroll activities by ensuring that the payroll is processed and reconciled in an accurate and timely manner. Verifies casual employee timesheets and rates of pay, enters employee and payroll information into Sage 50 Accounting Software, issues record of employment, payroll remittances, prepares T4 and T4A for distribution from the financial system, including making the necessary adjustments, and reconciles payroll earnings and deductions.
- Assists with year-end and audit processes. Including account payable and receivable accruals, and journal vouchers to ensure that financial transactions accurately allocated to the period on a timely basis and collects, verifies and distributes information for external auditor requests relations to financial transaction processing.
- Diploma in Business Administration or Accounting
- 2 years of related experience
- Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector check required
- Valid Class 5 driver's license an asset
- Equivalencies (combinations of education and experience) may be considered
SKILLS & ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) with internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and accounting theories and practices
- Knowledge of general accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, reconciliation, and internal controls
- Knowledge and ability to administer payroll
- Experience with computerized accounting software and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), database applications, Internet and Email.
- Problem-solving, analytical and evaluation skills
- Ability to read, interpret and apply financial legislation, acts, and regulations
- Ability to organizes time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment and team environment
- Ability to work with people in an effective, tactful manner
Closing Date: January 30, 2020
To Apply to this job please click on this link: Finance Officer
A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered including allowances of $20,000 per annum, health and dental benefits, and generous leave entitlements.
Priority Consideration will be given to qualified Participants of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement. We thank all who apply but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.