Yellowknife (November 28, 2018) – Premier Bob McLeod and Members of the Executive Council of the 18th Legislative Assembly met with Grand Chief/President Bobbie Jo Greenland-Morgan and the Gwich’in Tribal Council’s Board of Directors in Yellowknife on November 27th to discuss matters of common interest.
This was the eighth meeting of the Gwich’in Tribal Council’s Board of Directors and the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) since they signed the Intergovernmental Memorandum of Understanding on October 13, 2012 and renewed it in May 2017.
The meeting focused on areas of mutual interest, including:
- GTC-GNWT Relationship
- Gwich’in Self-Government
- Social Envelope Issues
- Economic Development
- NWT Economic Symposium Follow-up
- Arctic and Northern Policy Framework.
At the meeting, the GNWT and the GTC agreed to focus on undertaking a strategic review and discussion of their bilateral relationship at each annual bilateral meeting.
Premier McLeod and Grand Chief/President Bobbie Jo Greenland-Morgan agreed that through greater collaboration and working together that both governments will benefit from regular meetings with agreed upon outcomes for moving important issues forward.
- Strengthening relationships with Indigenous governments is a priority of the 18th Legislative Assembly.
- The Gwich’in Tribal Council – GNWT Umbrella Intergovernmental Agreement regarding Intergovernmental Cooperation and Coordination recognizes the importance of the government-to-government relationship between the GTC and the GNWT.
- The Agreement lays out a series of formal information-sharing commitments and requires both governments to meet each year to establish priorities, identify areas of cooperation, and set timelines.
For more information:
Government of the Northwest Territories
867- 767-9151, ext. 14032
Chief Operating Officer
Gwich’in Tribal Council