GTC Announces Departures
Inuvik (16 October, 2018) The Board of Directors of the Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) announced the release of Director of Gwich’in Services, Director of Corporate Services and Inuvik Office Manager from the organization. The decision to do so follows a budget shortfall due to reduced funding of the Imperial Oil funding and ongoing use of Gwich’in Own Source Revenue causing the GTC to restructure and eliminate those three positions. The GTC wishes to thank those individuals for their hard work and service to the Gwich’in Nation.
The GTC will strive to minimize any service disruption resulting from these changes. We appreciate your patience during this transition.
About the GTC: Established in 1992, the Gwich’in Tribal Council’s mandate is to implement the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement. As an indigenous organization the GTC represents Gwich’in Participants in the Mackenzie-Delta of the Northwest Territories and across Canada. The objectives of the GTC are to:
- Protect and preserve the rights, interest and benefits of the Gwich’in in reference to their use, ownership and management of lands, waters, and resources in the Gwich’in Settlement Area;
- Retain, preserve and enhance the traditional and cultural values, customs and language of the Gwich’in in a changing society;
- Develop and promote economic, social, educational and cultural programs that will enable the Gwich’in to become self-sufficient and full participating members in a global society;
- Uphold the rights, interests and benefits of the Gwich’in in reference to the Constitution Act, Treaty 11 and the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement; and
- Receive, preserve and enhance the capital and the lands and other benefits transferred to the Gwich’in pursuant to the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement signed on April 22, 1992.
The GTC accomplishes these objectives through various wholly-owned organizations such as the Gwich’in Settlement Corporation and the Gwich’in Development Corporation.
Questions about this announcement may be directed to Bobbie Jo Greenland-Morgan, Grand Chief and President, at 867-777-7900.
For more information:
Chief Operating Officer
Gwich’in Tribal Council